Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring Cleaning #30: Take a Load Off Our Drives

The P: drive is a lifesaver for children's librarians! Summer Reading Program (SRP) would be a nightmare without the folders organized for branch usage. A librarian who preceded me in this position kept everything on paper and what there was on the P: drive was not organized. Needless to say, when she had to take emergency leave, the staff left to run SRP were mostly in the dark about the who, what, when, where and how of each program listed in the flyer. Personnel from other branches donated time and had to make do with what they could figure out to make it work. I approach SRP organization as if I would not be available for any occasion, and organize that year's SRP folder on the P: drive, clearly labeled so that each program is a no-brainer. I even have the tickets for the ticketed programs ready to print. I think it is a good practice for everyone who provides programming because you never know when a personal crisis or emergency will pop up.

The S: drive has made the printing procedure process really work. Branch staff keeps our folder really clean so that Admin doesn't have to sort through a lot of files to find the information that we need to have printed. It makes sharing files with other librarians a snap.

I did not need to move and re-organize much on my folder in the P: drive because it is a daily and weekly routine I already follow that sure helps make my life simpler.

No comments: